This could be fear-based! Try the following;
- Keep a journal and log when the behaviors are happening to identify the triggers that cause nipping to occur.
- Before the visitor comes into your home, put your dog on leash to manage and reduce opportunities to nip, and leave a bag of treats by the front door. The visitor can toss treats towards your dog (not at them) as they enter your home.
- This will start to show your dogs that visitors are good and they associate the visitor with a treat.
- Teach your dog to “sit” before being pet. Check out Truly Force Free Animal Training’s Good Manners 1 Course to learn how to teach your dog “sit”!
- If your dog is a high energy breed such as a heeler I recommend giving them a job or something that will keep them mentally stimulated such as a Kibble Nibble Ball or Puzzle Toy.