Excerpted from “The Evolution of Dog Training” by Shannon Coyner
Use positive training techniques to create an unbreakable bond with your dog.
When you are training your dog, it is important to remember that both of you are learning. Even if you have trained dogs before, each time you train a new dog, you are both learning. As a professional, I treat every dog and human as an individual, and just because one technique works for one, it may not work for another. It is important that you show patience to yourself and your dog. If you are in a bad or stressful mood, you may decide not to train your dog at that time. Be sure that if you are aware that you are experiencing anxiety or fears, your dog may notice and become warier.
Use Force-Free, Positive Techniques
When you begin to work with your dog on a regular basis, they will learn your mood and will become a true partner. Training using force-free, positive techniques can create a beautiful, unbreakable bond.
- There are no bad dogs or bad humans – just inappropriate behavior.
- Get help when needed.
- Look for the “yes” when training.
- Pay attention to what you are asking for and what you are reinforcing.
- When dogs are alone, prevent or manage unwanted behavior.
- Avoid labels.
- Be patient with yourself and your dog.